Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Back to the Future, Part II (1989)

Back to the Future, Part II, Michael J. Fox, Elisabeth Shue, Christopher Lloyd
In Back to the Future, Part II Michael J. Fox and Christopher Lloyd return as they travel all the way to the year 2015 because something's got to be done about Marty's kids! This time Jennifer joins them, but so long Claudia Wells, and welcome Elisabeth Shue! The meddlesome antagonist Biff Tanon, played by Thomas F. Wilson manages to mess up the past creating an alternate 1985 forcing our protagonists to once again return to 1955 to fix the future.

This film is my least favorite of the Trilogy. For some reason the alternate 1985 never really worked for me, and prevented me from really getting into it. I did enjoy the "Future" which is now less than seven years away, largely because I enjoy seeing how various time periods envision the future.

Michael J. Fox, Christopher Lloyd, Back to the Future, Part II
The thing that really saves this film is the integration of events from the previous film. We realize that at one point there were two Doc Browns and Two Marty McFlys running around trying to save the future. The film uses alternate angles and some dubious special effects to cut together the two movies.

The second and third movie were written and filmed at the same time, so throughout the second movie we see foreshadowing of the third movie. I do appreciate a film that takes the time to work out these sort of details, and I think it leads to a more pleasurable movie-viewing experience. Unfortunately beyond the last scene of the first movie, I don't know that the second and third movie were planned, which would have really helped to tie the entire series together even more than it already is.
Back to the Future, Part II
Doc: No! It can't be; I just sent you back to the future!
Marty: No, I know; you did send me back to the future. But I'm back. I'm back from the future.
Doc: Great Scott! [Feints]


Notes:
1. Also, so long Crispen Glover and welcome Jeffrey Weissman!

No comments: