Watching Buffy one sees a plethora of famous people in roles that range from important to so minor they went uncredited. Some of these actors went on to win academy awards, some to host talk shows, others to marry Courtney Cox.1 Though by far my favorite performance in the movie is by Paul Reubens as the main vampire's (Lothos, played by Rutger Hauer) number one flunky. Also intersting is that Donald Sutherland plays a slayer trainer while his son Kiefer Sutherland had five years earlier played a vampire.
Vampires according to Buffy, The Vampire Slayer:
- Vampires have been around just as long as humans.
- Only the Slayer is truly able to consistently kill them.
- There is a group of Watchers who follow the slayer and know about vampires.
- Vampires do sleep in coffins. At least, the important ones do.
- Vampires cannot enter your home unless invited.
- The Slayer can detect vampires.
- A wooden stake through the heart kills vampires.
- Crosses seem to have no effect, though, they'll burst into flames in front of a vampire (a tribute to Bram Stoker's Dracula).
- Vampires can fly.
- Vampirism causes funky ears.
- If a vampire feeds on you, you become a vampire.
1. Hilary Swank and Ben Affleck, Ricki Lake, and David Arquette, respectively.